Esselstyn Family Farm
56 Willowdale Farms
Claverack, NY 12513
Places To Stay
Columbia County Tourism has a great tool for locating local places to stay in Columbia County. Please visit their website to view places to stay.
You can also book reservations at the Columbia County Lodging Association directly by calling 800-558-8218.
*Due to the significant number of summer events in the Catskills during the late summer months, hotel accommodations will be at a premium. We strongly recommend that you make arrangements for overnight lodging as soon as you reserve a spot at the Plant-Stock event. Also, a friendly reminder that because of the wonderfully rural nature of this event, the closest lodging may be 20-40 minutes away from the event venue.
On this same weekend 43 years ago, on an idyllic farm in upstate New York, a generation came together to hear the icons of their era share a profound and inspiring message. That weekend was known and is remembered as Woodstock. In 2013, we invite you to join together to embrace a new message, a message fit for our time and aimed at a new generation. We call our contemporary installment, affectionately, Plant-Stock, and we welcome you to be part of this life-transforming festival.
Plant-Stock’s mission is simple. Take control of your well-being through diet and nutrition. Understand how food, as Socrates said, can be thy medicine. You’ll learn, once and for all, how to make eating plant-strong a turnkey and seamless way of life. While we can’t promise any music legends, we can guarantee this weekend will change your life in ways both positive and profound.
Plant-Stock will take place entirely outdoors under a pristine canopy tent erected in the Esselstyn family’s backyard. Here you will learn from world-class speakers how to implement and follow a plant-based lifestyle. In addition to our usual Farms 2 Forks team, you’ll have the opportunity to hear Dr. T. Colin Campbell and Jane Esselstyn, as well as success stories from across the country. You’ll also be treated to delicious and satiating plant-powered meals, each served in the pleasant shadow of the 400-year-old Esselstyn family farm.
Plant-Stock will begin at 7:00 AM on Saturday, August 17th, 2013 and conclude at 7:00 PM on Sunday, August 18th, 2013.
- 7:00 AM – 8:15 AM: Registration & Breakfast
- 8:15 AM – 9:15 AM: Rip Esselstyn – “Welcome & Overview” | A brief overview of the U.S. healthcare crisis and a definition of the Standard American Diet (S.A.D.)
- 9:15 AM – 10:45 AM: Jeff Novick, MS, RD, LD, LN – “Lighten Up: Weighing in on the Weight Debate” | A summary of the state of our nation’s weight and how it has dramatically changed in the last two decades, as well as an explanation and discussion about the causes of our collective weight gain
- 10:45 AM – 11:00 AM: Break
- 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM: Dr. Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr. – “Prevent & Reverse Heart Disease” | A comprehensive look at the evidence linking consumption of the S.A.D. with the increased risk of cardiovascular disease, as well as the evidence showing the power to prevent and reverse such symptoms by adopting a plant-perfect diet
- 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM: Lunch
- 1:30 PM – 2:45 PM: Dr. T. Colin Campbell – “Whole” | Over the years, health institutions have resisted or ignored information on plant-based eating and a general role for nutrition of any kind in health and medical practice. Dr. Campbell will briefly survey this problem and leave his answer as to why he believes this occurred in his new book, Whole
- 2:45 PM – 3:00 PM: Rip Esselstyn – stretching & break
- 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM: Jane Esselsytn, R.N. – “Chronic Western Diseases Explained” | Why does the S.A.D. make us sick? What process causes diabetes? Jane will explain the intricacies of these complex problems and connect the physiological processes that allow diet to create disease
- 4:00 PM – 4:15 PM: Rip Esselstyn – stretching & break
- 4:15 PM – 5:45 PM: Jeff Novick, MS, RD, LD, LN – “Calorie Density: How to Eat More & Weigh Less” | The science behind consumption of nutrient-rich, calorie-light foods and how they can cause the body to shed pounds while reducing the risk of most major diseases
- 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM: Dinner on the Farm – A gourmet, plated meal prepared onsite by our team of chefs, served in the tranquil ambiance of an open field
- 7:30 AM – 8:30 AM: Breakfast
- 8:30 AM – 9:45 AM: Ann Esselstyn – “Living Plant Perfect” | An explanation of how you can use the foods from your local grocery store to build a plant-strong kitchen
- 9:45 AM – 10:00 AM: Break
- 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM: Jeff Novick, MS, RD, LD, LN – “Should I Eat That? How to Choose the Healthiest Foods” | Practical advice for becoming a more educated and informed consumer, including label reading and food marketing myth-busting
- 11:15 AM – 11:30 AM: Break
- 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM: Dr. Doug Lisle, Ph.D. – “Getting Along without Going Along” | A fascinating lecture about how to move comfortably through the social conflicts that result from healthy living
- 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM: Lunch
- 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM: Jeff Novick & Special Guest – “Fast Food Cooking Demonstration” | Practical guidance from the expert of “making it work,” this interactive food demo will show you how to shop for, prepare and enjoy delicious, easy recipes that take 10 minutes to make and cost under $3 per person
- 2:30 PM – 2:45 PM: Rip Esselstyn – stretching
- 2:45 PM – 3:45 PM: Jane Esselstyn – “Cooking Tips for Plant-Strong Success” | Jane will take us through what she keeps in her fridge and pantry, ingredients that facilitate success at mealtime and every munching moment in between
- 3:45 PM – 4:00 PM: Break
- 4:00 – 4:45: Rip Esselstyn – “Dramatically Change Your Health in 28 Days: Invitation & Instruction for Taking a 28-Day Plant-Strong Challenge” | Rip will take you through the basics of changing your diet over four weeks, including how to keep a food log, clean-out your pantry, travel and eat out, as well as how to make it all work when you get home
- 4:45 PM – 5:30 PM: Q&A Panel featuring Dr. Esselstyn, Rip, Jeff, Doug and Ann | Ask the experts your pressing health and nutrition questions
- 5:30 PM – 7:00 PM: Dinner on the Farm – Casual, plant-strong summer fare
*Plant-Stock schedule is subject to change. Lodging and transportation not included.